09 May 2007

Those who have been



This week the church youth group had a as our guests a couple who are into genealogy in a big way. The question 'who am I?' is addressed in part by how we have been shaped by those who have been before us.

It kind of reignited my interest in my forebears. So far I have got the birth, death and marriage dates of the two generations prior to me (not that hard really) and I'm slowly working backwards. I don't know many of the names of my great grandmothers & g-fathers, but have some idea on a few of them. One of them has a little bit of notoriety - Eliza Stewart (nee Anscombe) was a reasonably talented painter. Half a dozen of her works are stored in the Hocken Library in Dunedin and she is listed in a publication and on the web. Her brother Edmund was the famous one - he was a significant New Zealand architect, designing many buildings (including churches) in Dunedin and Wellington as well as being the designer of the 1940 NZ Centennial Exhibition in Wellington and the 1925 NZ & South Seas Exhibition in Dunedin.
One of the delights of looking back was finding out (after she was named) that my daughter Hannah had a great-great grandmother with the same name. Hannah Dawson died in 1946, I'm off to find out where and when she was born and what her maiden name was.

1 comment:

Ray H said...

Hey Martin, Ray here, love the blog. Youth group was fun, it's an interesting series. See ya later.