14 July 2009

The Shack


I read this remarkable book while up at Hanmer Springs (hot pools in the Canterbury foothills) with the youth group. I can't think of a better book that depicts the way that God is One but Three in an easily accessible way than this. The practical reality and relevance of the Trinity in human life is stunningly depicted... the challenge and critique God offers to human independence is quite wonderfully crafted in the story, and the impressive 'slam-dunking' of the way we presume to judge others (and presume to know how God does) remains for me the highlight of the book.
It is a must read!
Anne and I are beginning to gather a bunch of copies for study groups at St Stephen's - it will be fun!
I commented to a friend that I believe that this story will promote the relevance of Trinitarian Theology in human life more than any other book ever written simply because it is so accessible.

http://theshackbook.com/aimages/bookmarkad.jpg

2 comments:

sarahmuff said...

ive ordered a copy so will lend it to you for your study group!

martin said...

cheers Sarah!!