20 May 2006

Da Vinci Code Movie


I am still trying to make up my own mind on the movie. The critics were quick to pan it and I heard their comments. Do they determine how I saw it? I hope not but...
Here are my thoughts...
Cinematography: stunning - great light/shade, clever flashback and imagination sequences.
Making the most of symbols and art: good - but not enough focus on architecture of old churches.
Keeping the integrity of the story: mostly ok, but some key disappointments were the taking away of the relationship between the curator and the grandmother and the sacrifice they made for Sophie's future and why did they choose to take out the romantic link between Langdon and Sophie? If I was Tom Hanks I would have insisted that they keep that in. The opportunity to kiss the gorgeous Audrey Tautou would have been my bottom line condition of being in the movie. No kiss, no Tom!
Acting: Come on Tom Hanks re-act! Audrey Tautou, yum. Ian McKellen - I knew Gandalf had a dark side. Paul Bettany: should have been more sinister. Alfred Molina: So good - always good. Jean Reno: ditto.
Direction: it was all too easy - the anguish of trying to work the problems out was largely absent, as was the pressure and threat. I wasn't on the edge of my seat at all but I was when I read the book. Why not?
Story: Well it was only ever a big thriller. All the conspiracy stuff: so full of #@^* that there is nothing to say and more importantly, nothing that the church should get so reactive about. I am sure that all the church is exposing in its attempts to dispute the conspiracies is its lack of confidence in Christ. Come on church, have faith, speak truth and act with grace!
Overall rating: so far 5 out of 10
My feeling: just a little bit disappointed.
Back to Audrey: if you don't know anything about her hire Amelie & A Very Long Engagement.

No comments: