19 April 2008

Surrounded by the Perilous Poozers of Pompelmoose Pass


I'm working on tomorrow's sermon and being helped by Poozers!
My parents encouraged me and my siblings to read - books were always part of our birthdays and Christmases. Dr Suess was a favourite with his wacky language and brilliant artwork. He was also something of a subversive, taking the opportunity to point out a few truths to the world. My favourite is Yertle the Turtle. I have used that story as part of a presentation on The Powers & the Church. It went down particularly well in Vanuatu. As Anne and I were planning for this Sunday I remembered the story I had trouble in getting to Solla Sollew where the character is surrounded by the Perilous Poozers of Pompelmoose Pass all because he is trying to find a place where he will be free from troubles. Of course there is no such place. The character heads back home understanding that he has to tackle the troubles rather than run from them.
Anne and I will share the story at church.
Here's where some of my thoughts are heading...
Sometimes our wounds are overwhelming [like it is in the Dr Suess story] Do we run from what surrounds us, threatens us, and wounds us? Or do we walk into the situations and find our way through despite our wounds?
Do we run from our troubles or find a way to make the best of them?
Personally I think that our wounds heal better when we face them rather than try to deny them. But don’t you think for a minute that I am here to tell you that there is a clear way to handle difficult situations. Sometimes stepping back from a troubling situation is the best option, and sometimes making the best of what you have is the best option. And both alternatives can leave you with deep wounds that are hard to heal. But facing the reality of these wounds is, by and large, an essential part of their healing. Trying to escape life’s wounds by heading off to Solla Sollew ‘where they have no troubles, at least very few’ isn’t going to get anyone that far in the long-term, because troubles in life are not optional.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Toner, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://toner-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

You have really great taste on catch article titles, even when you are not interested in this topic you push to read it