05 December 2007

A Touch of Sleeve


On Monday night I was involved in the launching of my friend Susan Bell's amazing book, A Touch of Sleeve. Susan asked if I would be the launcher which was an honour and a privilege (if the two things aren't the same!). Around 90 people gathered at the University Bookshop and we had a lot of fun... the neat thing was that Hisashi (who the book is about) was able to be there. He is in his late 80's.

Hisashi is Japanese and has done what Japanese men don't do - he has recounted to Susan his experience of life in Japan during World War II, the defeat and occupation. Culturally he has broken a kind of taboo - and according to a proverb he relates, been the frog who opens his mouth so wide that the contents of his insides can be seen...

The insight into Japanese life that comes from this opening his mouth widely is profound. I read some of the early draft chapters (that have since been radically revised as the book took its current shape) and the account of the fire bombing of Tokyo in particular was both harrowing and astonishing.

Until now, little has been known of the Japanese side of the war experience.

Susan with Hisashi's help has opened the window for us to look in - it promises to be a break-through book and I wish Susan well!
It is available around the country for $39.95 - I hope people get the opportunity to read it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi There I'd like to congratulate you for such a terrific quality site!
I was sure this would be a nice way to introduce myself!

Sincerely,
Edwyn Sammy
if you're ever bored check out my site!
[url=http://www.partyopedia.com/articles/curious-george-party-supplies.html]curious george Party Supplies[/url].

Anonymous said...

I have just finished reading Susan's book. I, too, adore Japan and Japanese culture and found
Susan's books had picked up so much of the underlying philosophies and intricacies of this wonderful society. Thanks to Susan for taking the time to research and write this intriguing biography.
robynbray@ozemail.com.au

Anonymous said...

I love marttherev.blogspot.com! Here I always find a lot of helpful information for myself. Thanks you for your work.
Webmaster of http://loveepicentre.com and http://movieszone.eu
Best regards

Anonymous said...

hi, good site very much appreciatted