08 April 2009

Christ at the centre

Colin McCahon



An excerpt from my Passion Sunday address:

The Trial
What was the choice?
For Pilate: Do I set free a murderer or an innocent man?
For the crowd: Do we call Jesus Lord or do we demand him crucified as an imposter?



We have to choose not out of our certainties – because some things are not always provable using the many formulas and devices of thinking…

Is Jesus Lord or is he not?

Is what he says, and who he is, the truth?
In the trial Pilate asks Jesus ‘what is truth?’ – Jesus remains silent. Jesus remains silent, for Pilate to work it out,
for the watching crowd to work it out and for us to work it out.

‘Grace and truth come through Jesus Christ,’ says John in his prelude…
If we want to know the truth – it has a face and a name…
I AM… the alpha and the omega – the One at the beginning and the One at the end.

Jesus dares us:
Let me provide the basis by which you address what you understand to be true.
Let me be the framework through which you build your worldviews.

I AM the way the truth and the life
– let me be at the centre.

And from the centre
I will walk to the deepest place of human suffering on order to be with you.

No comments: