26 February 2008

who looks?

In the latest magazine of Spanz (my denominational magazine which can also be viewed online at http://www.presbyterian.org.nz/) my colleague Fyfe Blair (from Highgate, Dunedin days) and I contributed some ideas about blogging - you can read the article here: http://www.presbyterian.org.nz/4800.0.html.
I am rather cautious about the whole concept of blogging and even more so after reading Ben Elton's latest and excellent novel Blind Faith. Elton exposes how many of the things of our culture can be taken too far, get too serious, be too personally invasive etc etc.

In the last week I've had a couple of encouraging emails from overseas ministers who say they enjoy my blog - which is encouraging (though I have no idea how they found their way to it). But I do wonder how many people do look, and whether those who do might have any suggestions about what kind of content they enjoy and would like more of.
Would you dare to email me martin@ststephens.co.nz or hit the comment header below and share a thought?

3 comments:

Rory Grant said...

I read it.

I think in some ways blogs are like celebrity lite.

1. Sharing your opinions online can have the psychological effect of making you think they're more 'important' or 'right' than they actually are. Just like celebrities.

2. Blogging can actually generate (unwarranted/unwanted?) fame or notoriety. Just like celebrities.

3. lurkers like me begin to feel like the blogger is their friend, like they have a personal connection. One that has no real-world corollary. Myspace, bebo and facebook sites are even worse. 'Real' celebrities deliberately exploit this reality distortion field to increase their own popularity.

4. Once you have an audience, the temptation is to try to 'keep' it. So rather than being a conduit for your opinion, the blog itself can begin to form your opinion. A Blog is a 'power' like any other.

Of course, sometimes lurkers like me enjoy the (one-sided) low maintenance way of keeping up with a friend. You're my friend aren't you Mart? I know where you live...

Rory Grant said...

In fact statistics suggest that 99.99999% of blogs exist purely for reason (1) above.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mart. I read the article in Spanz and Blind Faith too. Rory's onto something here. Blogging is a bit like publishing your book, a bit at a time. The more well known we are the more we face the challenge of fostering the inner life, not for the sake of sharing with the world.

Having said all that, I enjoy the perspective on the world you offer Martin. Whatever it is, whenvever you feel like it. It gives me a taste of life back in the homeland and a reminder of shared values.