18 May 2007

CD compilation on my birthday

Here's my cd of songs I've enjoyed through the last year... the list is in order of making it a good mix more than actual preferences although #1 and #2 are tops with me.
Explanation for some of the choices included...
city of blinding lights - U2 opening track at the U2 concert we went to in Melbourne... alluding to the new jerusalem???
isn't it amazing - hothouse flowers used it at a memorable church service & went to concert last year and they sung it!
lungs - cowboy junkies part of an extra group of covers on the one soul now album '04
my black heart - the ghost who walks this is neil mccormick, rock critic and author of the brilliant I was Bono's Doppelganger & U2 by U2 - I imported this from the UK and love it. He also released a song after the London bombings - you can see it on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DECobDuX_YQ Neil is in the middle of the clip holding his child.
wired - mephymology this Dunedin NZ band are finding their way - a great bunch who stayed on their way north to tour in the summer. Check them out at http://www.mephymology.co.nz/ They have some tracks on their my space site from a great concert last year.
window in the skies - U2 used this at church after Easter... great lines esp in opening verse
accustomed to the light - dave dobbyn Dave is one of NZ's heros he played this one evening in ChCh this summer with band & orchestra - profound! As was his version of Cohen's Hallelujah.
map of the problematique - muse me and my boys love these guys, i love this following dave's song
magic bracelets - hothouse flowers from the latest flowers album - full of optimism.
fade into you - mazzy star a song on my brother's compilation that struck a chord, one of my daughter's favourites as well
not ready to make nice - dixie chicks the most 'pop' of the songs on this list... i like the anger but hope they find a way to move on from their stand re George Bush and the stuff that came at them because of it!
nothing wrong with me - the audreys also on the compilation... they won the best blues & roots album in Australia 2006 check them at http://www.theaudreys.com.au/
thunder road - cowboy junkies springsteen's song in junkies style also from the one soul now extra cd
red right hand - nick cave & the bad seeds a close competition with their song do you love me?
angel - massive attack enjoyed this played on The West Wing end of series 4
forever young - bob dylan i honestly hadn't really heard this song until this year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.